Flutter is Google’s open-source mobile app SDK for crafting elegant and quality applications on Android, iOS and future Fuchsia devices within record time. Comprising mainly of widgets and states, Flutter is the perfect tool for swift and effortless development. Although flutter is not that difficult to pick up and code, it can be quite difficult if you want to do fine details with it.
Since flutter is a whole lot different from native Android development, it would help to learn them both at the same time, rather than focusing on what you want to learn more. Proficient developers insist on gaining some previous knowledge of native development and alternatives like Kotlin before continuing to learn and code with Flutter. At the end, you will realize how easy and fun it is to create applications using Flutter.
Native Android is better if you want to do low-level detailed applications. Flutter has its advantage if you just want is to make quick applications. It is easier to build rich and intuitive UI in Flutter since it is a user interface framework tool that integrates prepackaged widgets for Material Design and Cupertino instead of Android XML.
Flutter uses Google’s Dart Language
The language used by Flutter is Dart, Google’s own general purpose programming language. The way of writing code in Dart is quite different. Initially used for server and web applications, it has now made its way to mobile with the unveiling of Flutter. Dart incorporates several helpful tools that may prove to be effective in building your next project such as core libraries, a virtual machine, and package management repository.
Together with its array of features, Dart has become an indispensable component of Flutter. Therefore, it suffices, that you acquire some expert knowledge of coding with Dart before proceeding to building applications using Flutter. What makes it a great companion tool to Flutter includes:
- Easy to learn as it includes features found in both static and dynamic languages
- Integrates Just in Time compilation for faster development cycles
- Allows easy creation of animations and transitions
- Ahead of Time compilation for quick native code
Why use Flutter?
The Flutter platform enables developers to create high-performance apps, which may be natural in different platforms making it ideal for cross platform applications. Existing codes can be utilized for using Flutter and is used all around the world by organizations and developers in the Free and Open Source.
When working for the first time with Flutter, you may ask yourself or any of your developer pal may point out what’s so innovative and radical about Flutter. Well, to summarize the boons of Flutter, it is more apt to list them down as below:
- Flutter is Open Source – Being Open Source, Flutter enjoys more accessibility and comes ingrained with better user friendly features. You can easily craft applications with its built in array of options for any purpose whether as a hobby or for commercial applications.
- Rich UI Components – Flutter incorporates a rich catalog of UI components via its wide array of widgets. The widgets comes in both Material Design and Cupertino for Android and iOS respectively to create beautiful interfaces for the two platforms.
- Single Code Based – Flutter is single code based making it compatible for both Android and iOS. The cross platform application allows seamless transition to build apps with improved security measures.
- Swift Development – Flutter allows you to create highly functional apps for iOS and Android more quicker than other platforms. Its unique hot reload feature that lets developers instantly view the results of any changes in code, letting developers compile code faster than before
Cross Platforms for App Development
Flutter finds its use chiefly in building cross-platform apps for mobile devices. These apps can be used on both different platforms like iOS and Android. Flutter’s extensive cross-platform support allows companies to develop apps that could be used in multiple platforms. For instance, companies may roll out their own apps into mobile devices of their own personal for instant messaging and other internal communication needs.
Therefore, it is imperative that the app caters to multiple platforms to be compatible with different mobile devices. Its extensive cross platform support is one key reason why Flutter is awesome in nature.
How to learn Flutter?
Flutter app development course can be learned through a step by step approach as follows:
- Build iOS and Android mobile apps with single code based
- Learn Dart language
- Learn Flutter mobile framework
- Learn to build an app in iOS and Android devices
- Begin making a fully fledged app for any startup business
- Start working as a cross-platform apps developer for Android and iOS devices
- Learn Flutter and Dart framework
- Build a portfolio of apps for applying into developer job profiles
- Achieve a competitive advantage as a Flutter developer in the workplace
Requirements for learning Flutter
- Some basic know-how of native Android development
- A Mac or Windows run computer
- Willingness to learn
Best Online Resources to Learn Flutter
- The Official Flutter Documentation
- Flutter & Dart – The Complete Flutter App Development Course by Udemy
- Build Native Mobile Apps with Flutter by Udacity
- Getting Started with Flutter by RayWenderlich.com
- Flutter Tutorials and Courses by hackr.io
How can you improve your learning in Flutter?
- Get to know the Flutter platform vividly
- Thoroughly acquaint with all the features of Flutter
- Go through FragmentedCast before starting coding using Flutter
- Read through Flutter’s official documentation as it include easy examples that beginners would find helpful. The documents are seasoned with iOS and Android devices. The developers can easily interact with the present device
- Including Google codelabs in the learning process
- Adding the Flutter GitHub repository in the learning process
- Subscribing to Flutter weekly to get free newsletters, blogs, and helpful tutorials
- Opting for Google’s free beginner Flutter learning course. Google provides a free course for learners. By reading these, people become passionate towards Flutter
Flutter is a great platform offered by Google that developers will find useful in building awesome cross platform applications with rich UI. It is one platform to look for to craft beautiful interfaces in both Android and iOS with its extensive array of customizable widgets and tools. One could easily pick up Flutter as a beginner. For those already into native development, Flutter proves more ease and fun in the development process.
There are numerous free and paid courses available online for novice developers to get an understanding of Flutter. They structure their courses into step by step curriculums that guide the learner right from the basics to the advanced stages of programming. After going through it orderly, you can begin crafting your own innovative applications inbuilt with beautiful UI for an array of devices running on the iOS and Android operating systems.